Today’s students are literally mobile — constantly using cell phones, iPhones and Android smartphones. Stationary language labs are expensive to support. Budgets at schools and universities are tight. For-profit language education programs are facing price and feature competition. Educators can easily set up a phone-based Virtual Language Lab for language students using Evoca.
How it works
- Your students can record the lessons you assign simply by using their phones to call any Evoca public dial-in number: http://www.evoca.com/record-using-your-phone/.
- Their recordings are instantly saved as MP3 recordings into your online, secure Evoca account.
- Evoca provides many public dial-in numbers for the students to dial-in from the U.S./Canada and other countries.
- You can listen to student’s recordings and send feedback and links to the recording to your students. See: http://www.evoca.com/email-a-recording/
- Students can playback their recordings on their smartphones, tablets, and computers save to track their own progress.
Setting up your Virtual Language Lab
Step #1: Sign up for an Evoca Pro subscription plan for only $6.95/month. Go to: https://www.evoca.com/evoca-pro-plan-sign-up.jsp
- You get full access to Evoca audio recording, management, and sharing
- You can also record sample audio lessons and post them on your website or blog, and also Facebook and Twitter
- You get an initial 10 hours of recording storage time and can add “buckets” of 10 additional hours of storage time right from your account. See: http://www.evoca.com/add-storage-minutes/
Step #2: Set up an Album for each student. See: http://www.evoca.com/create-an-album/. We recommend using this naming approach: Last name_First name, for easy listening to/grading the recorded lessons.
Step #3: Register up to 30 [or more] students’ phone numbers. See: http://www.evoca.com/register-phone-numbers/. You will assign each phone number to the corresponding student Album [see Step #2]. Teaching more than 30 students? High school teachers can email us to get additional registered phone number slots at no additional charge at: firstname.lastname@example.org. [For-profit subscribers can request additional phone registration slots for a modest up-charge at: email@example.com.] Read more